Friday, December 21, 2018

Farewell Attalla

Hey everyone, we don't have a whole lot of time, due to the fact that I need 
to get packed and we need to get lots of other stuff done today, so I'm just 
going to get right to it.

We got the calls last night that I will be leaving Attalla.  I'm pretty sad to be 
leaving right before Christmas, especially because of all the relationships that 
I have made over the past 5+ months here, but I am ready for a change and I 
look forward to whatever is in store next.  President also called this morning 
and let me know that I will be a Zone Leader this upcoming transfer, so at least 
I know that I'll have a car!  Haha should be fun.

This past week we had a mission Christmas party in Huntsville.  The mission 
actually had 2 parties, one for the north half and one for the south, so we went 
to the north one.  One of my favorite things is just seeing missionaries whom I 
have served with, served around, or just met and come to know in other ways.  
We had a talent show type of thing as part of the pary, and Elder Vanderhoff did 
the Napoleon Dynamite dance, complete with wig, glasses, "vote for Pedro" shirt, 
and moon boots.  Haha it was pretty funny.  

This week one super cool thing happened (or I guess will happen) - we get to go 
to the temple with D to do baptisms!  He received the priesthood on Sunday 
(which was quite the stressful experience).  We found out on Sunday morning like 
15 minutes before church started that D's receiving the priesthood had to be 
sustained in Sacrament Meeting.  The plan originally was to do it in Elder's Quorum, 
but our Stake President said it needed to be done in sacrament.  So we called D 
and told him to drive really fast so that he could meet with our branch president could 
meet with him really quick and then call for a sustaining vote.  Anyway, D showed 
up to church like 15 minutes late, and when he finally showed up we just walked into 
the chapel, gave our Branch President the nod that D had brought his tithing, and 
then he got up and called for the sustaining.  (Tithing was the only thing keeping 
D back from having this done several weeks ago when he had his original interview 
for priesthood/temple recommend).  So we just gave the thumbs up to President Sickles, 
and he said that everything else was all set, so Daniel was sustained and then he 
received the priesthood and a recommend after sacrament meeting.  It was stressful 
haha, but we got it all done.  And now we get to go to the temple with him tonight!  Pretty 
awesome farewell gift to me!

We saw D on Saturday night, and talked to him about some stuff.  The lesson 
focused on the correlation between obedience and blessings.  We have been really 
straight up with D about how there are so many blessing available to him (and 
everyone) if we will just follow the commandments.  D&C 130:20-21 says, "There is a 
law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which 
all blessings are predicated - And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by 
obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."  We talked to D about 
coming to church, partaking of the sacrament, and the blessings promised from 
doing so, specifically the blessing promised in the sacrament prayers that we will 
always have the Spirit to be with us.  It was the best lesson that we have had with 
him in a while, and I know he felt the spirit.  He told us he would be at church, but 
lo and behold, he wasn't there.  I'll be interested to hear about what becomes of 
D with Elder Lyons and his new companion.

Alright, one weird story to close this up - we sort of almost got kidnapped today....  
We were walking home from the post office after grabbing some boxes to send stuff 
home, and this guy waves us over to talk to him.  As we cross the street to talk to him, 
he immediately gets mad at us because we didn't use the crosswalk.  He seemed drunk, 
but didn't smell like alcohol so I don't know what his deal was.  All I know is he was 
acting weird and I didn't like it.  He told us that he was an excommunicated member 
(which may or may not be true) and that he wanted us to come in his house to teach 
him some stuff.  When I asked what he wanted us to teach him, he said, "Just come 
inside and we'll talk!"  I asked if we could talk outside, and he just started getting mad 
at me and told me no, we had to come inside.  I just kept telling him that we didn't 
want to go inside with him, we wanted to go home, and that's what we were going to 
do.  The whole time I was trying to see if he had a weapon on him, because if not I 
was going to book it out of there.  I couldn't tell.  I asked him where he lived, and he 
pointed to the house we were right outside of.  I knew who lived there.  It's a less-active 
named M, so I asked him if she was home.  He said yes, and all the while he was 
still just up in my face, all but forcing us into the house.  When we stepped inside, M 
was sitting in the front living room, and she had no idea why we were there.  I went up 
and shook her hand and whispered to her, "We need to leave and go home.  Tell this 
man we need to go."  She told him that we needed to leave, and right at that same time 
we got a phone call.  So I just said, "We're gonna take this," and we peaced on out of there.  
I was relieved and surprised that the guy didn't follow us.  We did get his name, and 
Elder Lyons is going to ask the members around here about him and what his deal was.  
I'm not sure what his intentions were, but it was probably the weirdest and freakiest 
experience I've had in Attalla. Good way to go out, I guess!  But we are still alive and 
everything's fine.

Alrighty, well we need to get going.  Hope y'all have a merry Christmas, know that I love 
you, and I look forward to skyping in next week.  Y'all are always in my thoughts and 
prayers, and I very much appreciate yours in my behalf.  I love being a missionary, 
I love seeing people change for the better as they learn about, accept, embrace, and 
live the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Nothing else can compare.

Love y'all!

Elder Beach
#RollTide
#LigthTheWorld 
Noccalula Falls - with lots of water!

Random dog we met at the gas station.

Elder Vanderhoff at the Christmas party.


Elder Nielson at the Christmas party.

Missionary cookies.

These were flying over Gadsden for some reason.

Our "stash".  (Christmas presents and stuff from home.)

Dakota gave us Auburn ties.  Not sure why.  Anybody want it?  I'm not going to wear it...

Alex, Dakota, me, Garrett.

The Primary gave us Christmas cards.

Elder Lyons and me at the branch Christmas party.

Brother R's 1957 Thunderbird.  So cool!

The nativity my mom sent.

The "Celestial Diskrick".

No comments:

Post a Comment