Tuesday, June 18, 2019

"God Gave the Increase"

Hey y'all, this has been a pretty decent week here in good old Tuscaloosa. We've been doing our best to find people to teach, and though our efforts seem to have yielded little, there have been some cool people whom we have been able to meet and at least leave a good impression on them. 

First of all, this week we had transfers and Elder Erickson went home. I unfortunately wasn't able to go to transfer meeting because of our vehicle situation, so Elder Robins and I stayed in Tuscaloosa while our new companions drove back down here from transfers. My new comp is Elder Conner from Lakeville, Minnesota. He's been out for about a year, and just spent the last 3 months in Scottsboro. That was cool because I had lots of people to ask about, and for the most part, he had answers. Everything seems to be going pretty good up there. He even told me that Jim Harkness is getting baptized like next week! I'm sure y'all probably don't remember him, but he is the husband of a member, and has really had almost nothing to do with the Church for most of his life. During my last couple of weeks in Scottsboro, we went to dinner at their house and kind of started teaching him. He wasn't super open, but I guess his heart has softened over time. He also had a granddaughter on a mission who was kind of teaching him over email at the time that I was there. Things must have picked up, his testimony must have grown, and now he's made the decision to get baptized. How about that! Pretty awesome stuff. 

We've spent a good bit of time this week knocking doors. Like I said at the beginning of this email, it seems as if not much has come from it. But if nothing else, we have at least given people a good image of ourselves, missionaries, and the Church in general. We've shown them that we are sincere people who just want to help people in any way that we can - specifically by helping them come unto Christ. People are usually grateful for what we do, they just tell us they're already set as far as religion goes, and ask us to move on. Seeds are being planted, and things take time to grow - case in point, Jim Harkness. It's good to know and understand these verses from Paul, "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour." I guess my job right now is to plant, and that's fine. It's not really even my work that I'm doing, it's the Lord's. And He's the one who knows when it's time to plant, when it's time to water, when the plant's time to grow is, and when it's time to harvest. The reward is the same for the labor, no matter which phase of the work you're engaged in. That's a good promise to hang onto. 

I do know that this is the Lord's work. I know that He is the one in charge. I'm grateful for my opportunity to serve, and I'm grateful for every part of it that I have been involved in. I'm thankful for y'all and for the prayers and support. Love y'all. Have a great week!

Elder Beach
#RollTide

Playing pool at "the club" with Elder Conner.

Scanning documents at the courthouse for this week's service hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment