Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen

Hey everyone, this was a great final full week as a missionary. It's odd to think that it was my final week. The fact that I'm coming home in just a couple of days hasn't really sunk in yet. I was told by several people that it probably won't sink in fully until I wake up in my own bed. That's going to be a weird experience. 

This week we were able to meet with and teach Willie several times. He's a good guy, and he loves the Lord, he just seems like he can't wrap his head around a few things that we teach. We were able to teach him the Restoration, as well as read some stuff from the Book of Mormon with him, including the introduction. In the last couple of paragraphs of the intro to the Book of Mormon, it invites all who read to pray and ask God to know that it's true. It then promises that when we gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon, we will also gain a testimony of three other things: 1) that Jesus is the Christ, 2) that Joseph Smith was a true prophet, and 3) that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's kingdom on the earth. Willie, like many others I've met and taught, have a bit of difficulty connecting those dots. First and foremost, one needs to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. And that can only be done by reading it, and praying to God to know that it's true. Like President Monson said, "The importance of having a firm testimony of the Book of Mormon cannot be overstated." That's something that we tried and prayed to be able to help Willie understand. He hasn't quite grasped the importance of it, so hopefully whomever the missionaries are in this area in the future will be able to help him out. 

Speaking of missionaries in the future, I have no idea who they are going to be. Elder Conner and I are both leaving Tuscaloosa, and I'm not sure yet what President's plans are for this area. I assume he will put two other Elders back here when we leave, but you never know if he'll swap for Sisters or just close it completely. It's always difficult doubling out of an area. It's a little bit tougher for us but it's much more difficult for the people we have met and taught. I think it really throws them off when they expect two people they've met before to show up to the appointment rather than have two people that they've never met show up. We met several people last night tracting with whom we made appointments to see later this week. I knew I wasn't going to be there for those appointments, but I didn't think that Elder Conner wouldn't either. Hopefully they still go alright. 

One cool thing that happened this week was I got to give another baptismal interview for a lady named Neva that the Northport Elders have been teaching. Neva has been learning from the missionaries and been coming to church every week for over six months, but she just never could really commit fully to be baptized. She also is a very nervous and anxious person, and so that's another thing that kind of got in her way. Last transfer she was ready to be baptized and Elder Erickson did her interview, but it just didn't go well. She shared with him some doubts and concerns that she had, and so her baptism was postponed for a while. I was worried that the same type of thing would happen when I re-interviewed her last week, but everything went great! Neva has a strong testimony and was excited for her baptism. It all went super well, and she was able to be baptized and confirmed this past weekend. That was an event that was a long time in the making, and it was great to be able to participate in it happening. 

Well, this being my last email, I wasn't really sure what to share. I wanted to share something deep and profound, but I'm not sure what that might be. So I'll just share a few of my thoughts and testimony, and wrap up there. 

I'm going to miss being a representative of Jesus Christ, and sharing my testimony with everyone around me every day. One of the greatest ways to strengthen a testimony is to share it. Not to say that I won't share it anymore, just not as frequently as I do now. I'll miss that. I'm going to miss being around, associating with, and loving other missionaries. That was a blessing unforeseen to me 2 years ago - being around so many people like myself with the same goals and standards and purpose. I love being around missionaries all the time. I'll miss that. I'm going to miss having an hour or more set apart every day to study the scriptures. One of the wonderful things I have gained as a missionary is a love for and a knowledge of the scriptures. I will obviously make time each day to study, but I will miss having as much time as I have enjoyed for the last two years to do so. I will miss the people of Alabama. I will miss hearing the terms "fixin' to" and "roll tide" and "bless your heart" mixed into every conversation. Most people here have a deep love for these things: faith, family, food, and football. Haha I do too, so maybe that's why I've loved being around them. I love Utah and I love being around so many members of the Church, but I'm going to miss the people here, many of whom I know and love.

I know that God is our Father, and that He loves us. I know that Jesus of Nazareth is the living Son of the living God. He is the Christ, and He is my Savior. I know that this is His Church. I know that the prophet Joseph Smith was chosen by God to restore the Church and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that Russell M. Nelson is Joseph's authorized successor, and is a true prophet of God. I know that there is power in the written word of God, and I know that there is power in prayer. I know that there is no decision that will deny us the presence of the Holy Ghost that is worthy of our consideration. I love my mission. I love it because I love the Lord. I also love all of you, miss you, pray for you, look forward to seeing you soon, and thank you for sharing this experience with me. 

Though I'm nearly through with some of the greatest times of my life, I will always remember this one thing: The best is yet to come.

Much love,
Elder Beach
#RollTide
Last week as a missionary!

Me, Elder Yokoo, and Devin.  Devin is the Elder's Quorum President in the YSA, and he takes us to dinner periodically.  We love him!

Elder Yokoo, me, Elder Conner and Elder Robins.  The four amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment