Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Upcoming Conference

Hey everyone, I hope y'all have had a great week. This one has been pretty good here in Tuscaloosa. Let me tell you about some of the highlights.

On Friday last week we were able to go to the Rowes and have dinner. They are a family that lives in Tuscaloosa but used to be in the 10th ward at home with us a few years ago. It was fun to visit with them about people and things that have been going on both here in Alabama and back home over the last 4 years or so since they moved. One awesome thing about dinner was that we learned that Allison Rowe has been sharing her testimony with their next door neighbors for the past little while. She finally decided is was time to give them a copy of the Book of Mormon, so we brought her a copy. That was so awesome that she was willing to do that. What a great example of member missionary work. It doesn't have to be huge, but just sharing something that has blessed our lives with someone, and helping them to receive those same blessings is so great. It blesses both us and them. The Rowes also gave us a lot of important information on the good restaurants to try while we are in town - if only we had the funds to try them all haha. Missionary budget allows for eating out sometimes, but not enough to try out all of the yummy local places. I guess we'll just have to hit the very best ones. 


We have continued to teach William this week. He doesn't have the greatest reading skills or comprehension abilities, so we have to take things really slow with him. He does have a desire to learn however, so that is all we can ask for at this point. This week we read a little bit of the Book of Mormon with him for one lesson, and we began teaching him the Plan of Salvation for another. The Plan of Salvation is so awesome. There are so many things that I wish people would just understand, that they would understand if they knew the Plan. It answers so many questions. Doctrinal questions and questions of the soul are answered in the scriptures as they teach us about the Plan of Salvation. Learning about and teaching about the Plan also just serves to me as another evidence that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. There are many doctrinal points which are touched on in the Bible that most people misinterpret or just plain ignore, that we understand more clearly when viewed through the light of our increased knowledge of the Plan of Salvation as revealed through Joseph Smith. Our premortal life (Jeremiah 1:5), the Atonement of Christ, salvation for the dead (1 Corinthians 15:29), the spirit world (John 5:25-28; 1 Peter 3:9; 4:6), and the kingdoms of glory (1 Corinthians 15:40-45; John 14:2) are all taught (some of them very clearly) in the Bible, but many of them are also teachings that are unique to our Church. That is a very strong evidence to me of the prophetic calling of Joseph Smith and the Restoration of the Gospel through him. Pretty cool I think. I'm just grateful for these restored truths, and the peace that they bring to our lives.

We have been working to find people to teach, and though our efforts have yielded little fruit, it has yielded some. We have been able to meet a few receptive people to teach about the Restoration of the Gospel, and share our testimonies with. One guy named Hunter actually pulled over in his car and asked us to come by his house sometime and teach him. We have planned to go by tomorrow. Situations like that seem suspicious, because it likely just means he's going to try and bash, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he has a sincere desire to learn. I'm always grateful when someone is just willing to let us into their home, regardless of whether they accept what we share or not. It gives me a chance to practice and improve my teaching, and share and strengthen my testimony. That is the case when we teach a lesson, regardless of whether they choose to accept it as truth. Teaching is one of my favorite parts of missionary work.

As you all know, this upcoming weekend is General Conference. It's our chance to hear from the servants, witnesses, and representatives of Christ. I'm sure y'all have heard lots of things about how to get more out of Conference (like coming up with questions, praying for the speakers, taking and reviewing notes, etc.). I don't want to give any more of that to you. I just want to share my testimony. I know that Russell M. Nelson is a prophet of God. I know that his counselors and also the Twelve are special witnesses of Jesus Christ. I know that these words which the Lord spoke are true: "Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." I know that the messages we will hear during Conference are the messages that God has inspired each speaker to share. I know that our questions will be answered as we prayerfully listen to their words and seek those answers. I know that Jesus Christ is the leader of His Church, and that He does so through direct revelation to those we will listen to this weekend. I hope that we all will accept the invitation to "come listen to a prophet's voice," and then continue to study his words and live his teachings. I love General Conference.

I love y'all too. I appreciate your love, support, and prayers that I know are offered daily. You're always in mine. Hope you have a great week!

Love,
Elder Beach
#RollTide





Having dinner and message with the Rowes, formerly from my home ward in Utah!


Me and my companion, Elder Erickson.

What a great thing to be able to video chat with my Mom, Dad and sister this week because they were on Spring Break!  Lots of fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment